Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving Tried & True #6 -- vegetable side dish


For many people, a dish of onions is a must with Thanksgiving dinner. Most people probably resort to a jar of boiled onions or a box of frozen creamed onions. I prefer to make the recipe I’m sharing today. If you enjoy creamed onions, you will love this. I wouldn’t bother to add the pimiento or chopped parsley for Thanksgiving, but they do make the dish very pretty indeed for Christmas.

YULETIDE SCALLOPED ONIONS

2 pounds frozen baby onions, cooked and drained
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped pimiento, optional
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, optional
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 Tblsp. melted margarine

Place onions in casserole dish.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter; stir in the flour and cook until bubbly. Remove from heat while you gradually stir in the milk. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick. Stir in the cheese until melted; add salt & pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Stir in the pimiento and parsley if you are using them.

Pour sauce over onions in dish and mix well. Combine the crumbs and margarine and sprinkle this mixture over the onions, but just around the edge of the dish. (In other words, you want to see creamy onion mixture in the center of the dish, with a pretty edge of crumb topping surrounding it.)

Bake at 350ยบ for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I keep forgetting to ask you if you're making these this year . . . if not, let me know and I will make them! We MUST have onions since this is the only time I usually get to have them each year!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.